Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Oil Stocks vs Crude Oil



I took profits on a portion of my long position in oil stocks. As you can see oil stocks are making new highs while crude oil is making a lower high. I take this as a warning sign that we may see a downturn here so I took some profits leaving me with about half of my position.

If oil and oil stocks continue to move higher in the days to come I will hold my remaining shares that I have long, but if I see these stocks moving lower I will exit the rest of my position. This was a big trade for me and I plan on keeping my profits.

XLE actually made a new high today so technically the trend is looking good, but the divergence between crude oil and oil stocks is something that I can't ignore. If you recall I got long oil stocks around March 19th based on the divergence between crude oil and the oil drillers. I literally caught the bottom and you can read how I did it by clicking here.

3 comments:

Mike said...

Kevin what are your thoughts on coal stocks currently ? What is your favourite energy stock ?

Kevin said...

I'm actually liquidating my long postion in the energy stocks so I don't have a favorite.

brd said...

Are you thinking we'll see a downturn in just oil stocks or just oil or both?

Money-Making Ideas

DISCLAIMER

This site may include market analysis. All ideas, opinions, and/or forecasts, expressed or implied herein, are for informational purposes only and should not be construed as a recommendation to invest, trade, and/or speculate in the markets. Trading and investing involves high levels of risk. Any investments, trades, and/or speculations made in light of the ideas, opinions, and/or forecasts, expressed or implied herein, are committed at your own risk, financial or otherwise.
 
Google
Technorati Profile Finance Blogs - Blog Top Sites