Saturday, January 13, 2007

Is Fear A Good Thing When It Comes To Trading?

In most areas of life, confidence or a belief in what you are doing is essential if you want to succeed and it's no different when it comes to trading the market..Or is it?

Let's say you are bullish on a particular stock so you buy the stock and you think to yourself that you are right and you are going to stay with this position come hell or high water. Is that a good example of confidence? Will that kind of confident thinking help us succeed in making money? The answer is NO!

In my opinion, trading is a whole different mindset than any other activity I can think of. Yes it is true we have to be confident in ourselves when we put a trade on, but at the same time we must always have that fear that this could be the trade that will hurt us.

Being too confident is what causes a trader not to use a stop, risk more money than they should and become sloppy in their analysis of the market. I think fear is a good thing because who do you think will protect their money better? The trader who has some fear of the market, or the trader who has no fear and is very confident? Obviously the trader who has some fear of the market will protect their money better by using stops and not trading too large for their account size.

When I put on a trade, I always think to myself that this is going to be the trade that can wipe me out. That may sound like a very negative way to approach trading but it enables me to stay alert and use stops and not trade too large. Be confident in yourself but be fearful of the market. So getting back to my original question, is fear a good thing when it comes to trading the market? You bet it is!

4 comments:

chronictown said...

Trading too large, no stops helped me lose two thirds of my account.i am humble,stay humble.had to get that off my chest.

Kevin said...

I think losing a large amount of money has happened to everyone at some point in their trading career. Staying humble is not only a good approach towards trading, but at life as well..good point.

ewaver said...

Great stuff again Kevin!

Another one for me to print out an hang up on the wall ;-)

I agree that whenever I have gotten overly confident in my trading or my view of the market that is inevitably when I have taken the biggest hits to my account. Consequently I have learned over the years to always have a healthy fear of Ms. Market.

Kevin said...

Ms. Market? You mean the market is female? No wonder why it's been so difficult to figure out!

Money-Making Ideas

DISCLAIMER

This site may include market analysis. All ideas, opinions, and/or forecasts, expressed or implied herein, are for informational purposes only and should not be construed as a recommendation to invest, trade, and/or speculate in the markets. Trading and investing involves high levels of risk. Any investments, trades, and/or speculations made in light of the ideas, opinions, and/or forecasts, expressed or implied herein, are committed at your own risk, financial or otherwise.
 
Google
Technorati Profile Finance Blogs - Blog Top Sites