Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Why I Am Cautious On The Nasdaq



The stock market has had a nice rally since July but now I am becoming a little cautious on the overall market. First of all, everyone is bullish...When everyone is bullish on stocks, that tells me that the market will most likely go lower. If you look at the above chart which is a 3 1/2 year weekly chart of the nasdaq composite, you will see that the comp is at the top of a rising 2 year channel. You'll also notice that for the past 3 years, the nasdaq experienced selling pressure at the beginning of the year which is where we are now. So how will I trade this? Well notice how the 10 week moving average has done a good job of containing the April 2006 to July 2006 down trend and has also supported the July 2006 to December rally. As long as this average holds and the market goes higher, I will continue to stay long and play from the long side but if we break that moving average, I will exit longs and look to short.. We'll see how things unfold.

>Tags:
, , , ,

3 comments:

L.J. said...

Kevin, I just discovered your blog and I'm impressed. I'll be back!

Your take on the QQQQ is particularly enlightening as I've been watching for a top of late. I'd love to be able to come up with the odds of the top of that two year channel being broken any time soon...

Kevin said...

Thanks Jim.. I see your name is "bullish" Jim...but you sound like you've turned into a bear..:-)

L.J. said...

:) I'm not yet Bearish Jim but I'm definitely becoming Cautious Jim more and more by the day.

Money-Making Ideas

DISCLAIMER

This site may include market analysis. All ideas, opinions, and/or forecasts, expressed or implied herein, are for informational purposes only and should not be construed as a recommendation to invest, trade, and/or speculate in the markets. Trading and investing involves high levels of risk. Any investments, trades, and/or speculations made in light of the ideas, opinions, and/or forecasts, expressed or implied herein, are committed at your own risk, financial or otherwise.
 
Google
Technorati Profile Finance Blogs - Blog Top Sites